How the Motability Scheme Works
It's Easy with Motability! You Choose the Car, We Do the Rest!
Do you receive the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance or the War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement? If so, getting a new car is easier and more affordable than ever. Using the Motability Scheme, you can turn part or all of your allowance into the Volkswagen of your choice. Check the section below to see if you’re eligible.
95% of Motability customers choose to lease a car through Motability's Contract Hire agreement, which gives them:
- A new car of your choice every 3 years
- Insurance and personal accident cover
- Servicing and maintenance
- Full breakdown assistance from RAC
- Free replacement tyres fitted by Kwik-Fit
- Window or windscreen replacement at no extra cost
At the end of your three-year lease the policy guarantees a seamless transfer to your new car. It’s truly worry-free motoring.
Are You Eligable for a Motor Car?
To be eligible to lease a car from Motability, you must be receiving either:
- Higher Rate Mobility Component (HRMC) of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement (WPMS) - currently £54.85 per week.
You must have at least 12 months' award length remaining in order to lease a car through Motability's Contract Hire scheme. Customers purchasing a car with a Hire Purchase agreement should be receiving the allowance for the full length of the agreement.
Do You Need to Have a Driving Licence?
Those opting for a lease agreement do not need to drive. Up to two nominated drivers can be selected, which may include friends and relatives, or parents/carers who may apply on behalf of children aged three years or above.
Proposed drivers must not have any serious driving convictions, disqualifications, or endorsements within the last five years. Drivers under 25 and those with provisional licenses may also have some restrictions.